Tuesday, October 14, 2008

An Update

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions re: the party.  I think I'll take shifts with a couple of friends caring for Will here at home.  The party is being held at our church 5 minutes away.  I think that will work, though I'm a bit nervous about leaving William..... he's still only little and he's a real "Mamma's boy", especially when he's not well!  :(  I'd like to be there to be part of the "formal" bits of the party, but will probably miss quite a bit, sadly.  

It's funny, my post on Sunday regarding Undivided Worship........  I mentioned that one thing that divides us from God is our circumstances.  Easy to pray and praise when things are great, but harder when they're not.  Well, I'm getting plenty of practice with that one this year. :)  A few days ago I didn't know that William was going to get sick.  Again.  I think his immune system is still a little compromised after having had that chest infection at 3 weeks of age.  He seems to be picking things up and struggling with them more than the other two children ever have.  Thankfully he's breastfeeding, and will continue to (God willing!) for another year or two.  I hope he'll fully recover and be a strong healthy toddler by then!!  I find it hard seeing my kids sick.  At least it's usually a rare thing.  Will's doing pretty well today though.  He seems a bit uncomfortable, but I've been bathing him in lavender baths and putting some special cream on his spots.  He had some panadol before bed tonight and is sleeping at the moment the longest he has in awhile.  

I'm tired and I'm trying to remember what it's like when we're all well.  It's been a bit of a nasty winter up here.  But I've always been one to try to focus on the positives rather than the negatives.  Even more so in the last few years as my faith has grown, but still there have been plenty of struggles for us as a family.  Take this past 18 months for instance...........

*  Losing our closest friends.
*  .... and losing more than $20,000 because of that loss of friendship.
*  Stu's broken leg.
*  Stu's injured eye.
*  Saraya being hospitalised.
*  Some health issues with me.... pregnancy, migraines, mastitis, etc.
*  William's challenging birth.
*  William being hospitalised.
*  A very unreliable car, causing all sorts of issues.
*  William getting chicken pox. :)
*  And the list goes on .........

BUT I can think of many many blessings too.  And these are what I try to think about on a daily basis.  There is absolutely no point in stressing about things beyond our control (easier said than done, but possible!)  Lean on God.  Ask Him to help in every situation, and praise Him in every situation.  Here are some blessings of mine, good things for which I'm ever so grateful .............

*  A wonderful, wonderful husband and 3 beautiful children.  The chance to journey through this life together, to live and learn and grow side by side.
*  A lovely home- my very own "house of dreams".
*  Our finances holding out through the storm of this year!
*  Help and support from beautiful friends and family.
*  A new car, which we're picking up this week!  Praise God!
*  A new haircut. :)
*  Plenty of good food to eat.
*  My garden.  And dreams of what my garden will be. 
*  The spring weather.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is fair, whatever is
 pure, whatever is acceptable, whatever is commendable, if there is anything of excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise - keep thinking about these things".  Philipians 4:8


"Turn all your anxiety over 
to God because he cares for you."  1 Peter 5:7



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saminda, I can definitely relate to this post. This last year has been a great struggle for us too, and now it's especially difficult because of the financial woes of our country. You're right though...the good Lord is faithful, and he sees us through. Sometimes it's hard to completely give my worries to Him, and trust that he will take care of everything, but he never lets me down!

Glad you found a solution to the party dilemma. Praying for a quick recovery for little William.

Renata said...

Great post! Thanks for the reminder to count our blessings rather than focus on the negative.
Hope little Will gets better soon. It's tough when they're sick. We've had a dreadful winter for illness as well - praise God it's spring & finally no one is sick (well Dave has hayfever, so it looks like he's crying all the time - must remember to buy some tablets). Sorry to hear it's been a tough year - having a baby is always a stressful (albiet joyful) time & the friend thing sounds very stressful - glad it's all sorted.
Hope the party goes well & you can be there for the cakes. Will be thinking of you on Sat.

AndrewWrites said...

I have nothing much to say about the whole 'count your blessings' thing. Just wanted to say how cool that last photo is! Did you take it?

I would like to take more photos, but by the time I find the camera and charge the batteries, then wait for the light to be good...
its just easier to 'borrow' the images I want from Google images!

Hope all is well in the Fern household!

Asian Hot Happenings said...

How do you get your Lavender to look so good? Where do you have it? Full sun? How much do you water it? I hope little William feels better soon. Praying for you.

jazzy cat said...

Love the shot of your rosemary too! Best wishes to all for a brilliant birthday celebrations! Here's to a happier end of year for all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin