Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oh My.........

I feel a catch-up is in order!! My blog has been sorely neglected lately; so much has been going on here that I simply haven't made the time to fit in blogging as well. Today is the last day of the school holidays, and Stuart has kindly taken the children out for a little while. So while I have a chance, I'll do a quick catch-up!

* Yesterday / last night was our local theatre's 10th anniversary Gala Concert, for which our family has been rehearsing for many weeks. After much time and energy singing, staging, costuming and driving hither and thither, it's all over.

In some ways, it was a success despite extremely limited rehearsal time. In other ways, it was a total disaster. :) I'm not going to go into it here..... but suffice to say there were MAJOR issues with the sound (microphones primarily) which made it very difficult both for the performers and the audience. Quite devastating after all the effort the cast had put in to this show!!!! I am still reeling. But. Lots of positive and encouraging feedback despite all odds. And amazingly, I still enjoyed myself. And it was a blast to have our whole family on the stage together - yes, even the children were involved!! :D


* My parents came along to watch, and met us in the foyer with these beautiful gerberas - all individually wrapped, one for each of us. So sweet! Mum did take a few photos too, so I'll get them from her sometime soon and put them up.

* The time I spent away in Brisbane has given me an amazing new perspective - God is really helping me deal with my self-induced guilt over ever doing anything for myself! I've lived with it for years and He is showing me it's unnecessary and time to change. Hooray!!! So I am really trying hard. I am sitting down more often despite mess around me, am taking the pressure off with cooking everything from scratch during busy seasons (like lately), and truly taking more time out just for me. These holidays have been pretty wonderful, and I'm already starting to feel better.

* I have a new plan for homeschooling this term which I am hoping will make things smoother for both Saraya and I. Will share more in another post.

* Eisteddfod planning begins this week! Only 3 weeks to go. I am entering 2 solos and 2 duets (hopefully), Stuart is singing a solo and duet (with me :)), and Saraya is in for 2 solos. This will be her first Eisteddfod so it's very exciting.

* It's now Monday as I didn't finish this yesterday - see what I mean?!! I just can't seem to fit blogging in at the moment..... We are still resting today, unpacking bags from our busy theatre weekend (lots of banana peels, and makeup.... ;)), and cleaning my very neglected house. I can't stand mess and dirty floors - hopefully by tonight all will be back to normal! Homeschooling will begin more formally again tomorrow. Saraya and I will sit down shortly and work on our plans for this term.

* Piano teaching starts up again this Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing my little students.

And that will do for a catch-up for now! I haven't even been consistently reading blogs lately, but will endeavour to do so more as life settles down again. If it does. ;)

All in all, things are going well here. My clouds of recent depression seem to be lifting, and as a dear friend said to me "Be proactive about changing the things you have some control over, and leave the rest up to God. Just trust Him with the rest of it." So that's what I'm aiming for. :)

Blessings to everyone! xx

5 comments:

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

It is so lovely to hear from you Saminda and to read about what God is laying on your heart. I always feel that when we take things to the Lord He always brings perspective. When you are homeschooling you make sacrifices and you pour your life into others and I do feel it is important to take some time for yourself, even if it is just a few snatched moments with a cup of tea (in a favourite cup - I say make these moments feel special by having something to look upon you believe is beautiful! ) as you enjoy a magazine and admire the beautiful homes, gardens or delectable recipes even if you are not going to make them! Notice that I'm not reading a homeschool book - this is something that just takes me away for a little while.
Sorry to hear about the sound issues at your performance. My son works the sound desk at church - it is quite a hard job but he does really well and there are few 'incidents' when he is on sound.
It's almost my 100th post and I am going to be doing a giveaway, one for my friends in the States and one for Australia - be sure to enter, I would love for one of the people who have encouraged and inspired me since I began blogging to win. I'm just about to share some of my thoughts on blogging in my next post - I've been giving thought to why I started a blog and the Lord simply reminded me that it was to to bless others but in the process I have made some lovely friends and now have this incredible journal which tells the story of my family.

~Amanda in Vic said...

Glad things are looking up for you! Your friend gave very good advice. My hubby has been trying for years to get me to realise that there is no point worrying over things I can't change. I'm a slow learner ;)

Looking forward to hearing your new homeschooling plan. I love to see how others structure their days. It helps me gain a little perspective.

I was wondering what you would recommend for a beginner piano student. We are wanting to begin teaching our children but as we only know the basics ourselves (so we'll be learning too!), we need something that is easy to follow and interesting for the kiddos.

Thanks in advance!

SF said...

Amanda,
There are lots of great resources out there, but I have chosen the John Thompson's easiest piano course for my students. The edition I chose also comes with an audio cd for home practice! I do lots of extra theory and things on the side, but the book is excellent as a guide - great basic theory and practical. :) xo

Kimmie said...

Glad to be caught up in your ins and outs.

nice to visit with you for a moment.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Karen said...

I love those gerbera daisies!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin