Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thus Far

Today, thus far, has been a good one.

We played a little game called "Directing by the squares" for our PMP (Perceptual Motor Program, not that we follow a program- for us it's basically just a planned physical activity before sitting down to do work :)); then the boys watched Playschool while Saraya and I did her literacy component, read a nature poem together, and read her Australian History lesson for this week.

I hung laundry and checked emails ........ sigh ......... I am loving having the internet back! :)

We had a morning tea break, the boys did some water play and other activities while I helped Saraya do her history follow-up activities. She's doing a great job! I'm really proud of her efforts, especially in writing which until recently was not her favourite thing to do.

I baked a banana cake with Will and Elijah while Saraya worked on a craft - I'll post pictures later. Then the kids have just been playing, riding bikes, etc. I also had them tidy their bedroom. I reorganised their bookcase because it was so messy we couldn't close the door! We had banana cake (!), sliced tomato and carrots for lunch. I also popped some popcorn, just because I felt like it.

Now the two big kids are reading on their beds while William lies in his bed having his bottle. I say 'having his bottle' because I hesitate to believe he'll have a nap these days. :( Unless he's up really early in the morning (like 5:30am), he generally doesn't nap anymore. This morning he slept until 6:30. Nice for me, just no nap today. :)

Our math curriculum finally arrived this morning. I'm happy, as we've been waiting a month for it to come. However, this quote from the Beatrix Potter biography I'm currently reading pretty much sums up how I feel about maths /arithmatic (this is an excerpt from her personal diary):

"The rules of grammer and geography are tiresome, and there is no general word to express the feelings I have always entertained towards arithmetic".

Hmmmm. So yes, arithmatic / maths is not my favourite subject either. I am a little hesitant to begin, I admit. Still, we've bought an excellent math program and will supplement with Mathletics, so I'm hoping my feelings regarding math won't rub off on my children!

When everyone gets up it will be read-aloud time (with iceblocks, on the verandah.... it's hot again today, though not as bad as yesterday) and baths before we head into town. The two older children are going to play with friends while Will and I tackle the grocery shopping.

And So You Think You Can Dance is on tonight, so I have a date with my hubby!! We love to watch it together.

So that's it, my day thus far!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

So good to see you back! Your children are so adorable.

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share what you are using for the subjects you are covering. I am homeschooling in Victoria. My 6 yr old son is 'prep' and 4yr old is 'preschool'. I also have a 3yr old, 21 month old and 6 week old.

We do math (signposts) and LA (Learn to Read, Write & Spell - Aust. Homeschooling) at the moment. I'll introduce more subjects next term. However, I am looking at other math & LA programs as the ones we are using don't seem to be going as well as I'd hoped. I'm always on the lookout for what has worked for others and why.

Thanks in advance,
Amanda.

Kimmie said...

Saminda;

Your day sounds delightful. I wish I could pop over and enjoy some of it with you. Your home looks so peaceful and relaxing.

Happy homeschooling.

(and I don't love math either...though I found a program called Math U See, which has helped tremendously.)

xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Jen said...

I quite like Maths. It might help if this curriculum doesn't work out for you to keep looking for something that does appeal to you. I find myself dodging certain topics in our school day if the curriculum isn't grabbing me. It does not do any good for my kids.

Just so you know we are using Singapore Maths 3rd Edition and I have been using it for over 4 years.

Best wishes
Jen in NSW

Renata said...

We also use Mathletics - the kids are really enjoying it!
You have such great ideas for home school - thanks for sharing them.
The twins dropped their daytime sleep when I began home schooling - I think it was the excitement of having the other two home that did it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin