Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nesting

It amazes me, the natural desire to "nest" when one is expecting a baby!
Obviously a design feature to get us to do all those things we put off for a few years. :)

Yesterday and today have been unplanned nesting days.
During those two days, I officially cleaned my entire laundry (including windows and whitegoods), tidied and cleaned the back patio, sorted my "messy bench" in the kitchen, cleaned (and opened) 2 kitchen windows which have (embarrased look) never been cleaned or opened, sorted and purged my table linens drawer, ironed and folded with precision all of our napkins (and I rarely iron anything at all), sorted and purged the 3 sliding drawers in my kitchen with Saraya's help, sorted and purged my "under the sink" cupboard which until this morning was quite likely to kill you if you opened it, and attempted to hem the curtains from the children's bedroom. This last point was a disaster of sorts and we'll ignore that one for the moment. Tomorrow is a new day, and I'll try again!

This morning Stuart called me a cleaning machine. I was literally unstoppable, moving from one thing to the next, my eyes focused on my one vision - to have a completely clean and tidy home by the time the baby arrives!! It's so easy to be cleaning or sorting one thing, and then notice something nearby that needs doing, then something nearby that, etc. etc.
I admit I'm tired tonight, but quietly happy too. Cupboards are being sorted left, right and centre. And as of tomorrow I start my new routine which will aim to maintain the current level of tidyness and shinyness around here. Then again, day to day life with children has a way of making things tricky. We'll see how things go.

Saraya and Stu go back to school tomorrow. I will miss them both so much.
The nesting will continue without them, though poor Elijah has no escape. He's destined to be my cleaning buddy for the next few weeks yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saminda,

I'm a U.S. reader, and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. You have a lovely family, and I enjoy your wit and humor.

Oh, I also wanted to share that when I was pregnant with my second baby, I went crazy with nesting! In fact, I also have a curtain-related episode that, to this day, causes me great embarassment. My husband and I refer to it as "that which must not be mentioned."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin