Monday, May 17, 2010

Potato Patch


Today the children and I took our new seed potatoes (thanks Wendy!), and made a no-dig potato patch up in the orchard.

I've never tried growing potatoes before, and I know this method isn't conventional...... but it was easy and I'm told it works!


Basically, choose a patch of lawn, lay a pile of 6 sheets of newspaper per seed potato, overlap the newspaper a bit to prevent grass coming through, cover with manure (I used cow), put potato on top, mulch thickly and water in well. Apparently you just keep mulching and mulching as the plants grow up towards the sun...... and finally you harvest very clean potatoes! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds intriguing. Can't wait to hear about the outcome of your No Dig Potato Patch experience.

sarah in the woods said...

I think your potato harvest is going to be a lot easier than ours! I'll have to keep this post in mind for next year.

Smilie girl said...

I like the sound of this. I've been thinking about how we could grow potatoes in our poor rocky soil and this might do the trick. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Renata said...

I saw this on homestead blessings, but have never tried it - I'll be interested in seeing how yours go!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin