Monday, March 2, 2009

Pulling out an old favourite.....


For the third or forth time in my life, I have opened the pages of one of my most favourite books on educating children- "The Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola.  It is so wonderful, and well worth the read if you have ever considered there may be a more interesting, well-rounded way to teach a child than the standard classroom approach.  (Even though we've gone for the standard classroom approach with Saraya- there's still alot to be said for mainstream schooling, in a good school with a great teacher..... ;)......... especially if it suits the child in question!).  The book also talks a lot about the home and family dynamic.......... and Charlotte happened to live in the 18o0's- early 1900's, in the Lakes District of England, which really peaks my interest too!  Anyway, today I read this quote and thought I'd share it.

"The finest of all the fine arts is the art of doing good and yet it is the least cultivated."
T. DeWitt Talmage

It really got me thinking.  What do you think of this quote? I'm sure it must be true!  Have you ever read any Charlotte Mason, and if so what did you think?  

2 comments:

Renata said...

I've never read any, but have certainly come across (on the web) a lot of families that use her homeschool style. I think I need to look around for that book - it certainly sounds interesting. I enjoyed the quote - although I think an art teacher would define fine art as an artwork piece, not an action!

SF said...

Actually, I'm inclined to agree!! I don't think it really fits into "fine arts" either...
Still, it would be good if the act of doing good for others was more pronounced within our communities and taught to our children!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin