Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Great Outdoors

I have taken a leaf out of Charlotte Mason's writings (literally!) and made it a family goal this season to spend at least 5 hours a day out of doors. This means we'll eat and read and write and draw and learn and run and play and garden and explore - all outside, whenever possible!

This morning after dropping Stuart to work the children and I headed to the park...... fruit, water, history book, nature notebook, pencils, cuddly toys, dress-ups and balls in hand! We had a great time and plan to do this once a week from now on. It would be nice to have some friends join us from time to time too. As always, photo opportunities presented themselves. Here's a few glimpses of our morning in the great outdoors.















"To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug." Helen Keller

6 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

Beautiful! I love the idea of purposefully spending so much time outside. It seems that inside things tend to get in the way, but I think setting a goal like you're doing may really help.
Love your candles too!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Fantastic pictures....Love your blog.....I am doing some fun blog hopping tonight.
Great post....Hope you will stop by for a visit. I have a giveway that I am drawing for this Friday...

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos as always. The lily pad picture is DIVINE! Love the pic of cape-wearing Elijah in the tree.
So glad you are able to get out and enjoy your nice weather. Looking forward to doing that here as soon as spring decides to stick around.

Smilie girl said...

What an awesome goal and one I'm sure you will all enjoy and benefit from.
Our neighbours spend a lot of time outdoors and tend to put us to shame with our indoor tendancies. When it was raining on the weekend, my lot were inside and I looked outside to see their whole family out in the rain enjoying themselves! Lucky them.

Unknown said...

Very nice, Saminda!!! :) What a great idea! My kiddos have been spending A LOT more time outdoors too...now I just need to get out there with them more!!!

Linden said...

May I join, please???!!!

I think that Charlotte Mason was practically my mother's favourite person in the world when I was little! And yes, I'm going to start reading her stuff. ^_^

I am so jealous of the beauty of the area where you live. Of course, Alaska has it's own wild and harsh beauty which I love, but I just love the photos of Australia...

And yes, nature is an amazing teacher! Go outdoors!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin