Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Special Sabbath

As I rose this morning there was a quiet expectancy in the air. For today is not only the sabbath, it is also Palm Sunday. Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. The beginning of the Easter week. A Special Sabbath. :)

I cooked pancakes for breakfast, the children set the outdoor table, adding leaves and flowers and place cards, and Stuart read these words to us as we ate:

"As Jesus went along, people spread their cloaks on the road. When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen: 'Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!'

Some of the Pharisees from the multitude said to him, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!" He answered them, "I tell you that if these were silent, the stones would cry out". Luke 19

We talked about what it would have been like, Jesus arriving among the villagers who had heard all about Him ...... the miracles .......... the rumours of who He really was.......... the excitement they would have felt .......... their voices wafting in the air, the children, the grown-ups, all straining to see Him........

I love these talks with the children. Their imaginings, their ideas, are all so valuable to me.

After breakfast and clean-ups, Elijah asked for the paints, so everyone got into some creative work at the table. Even Will insists on joining in with these artistic pursuits these days!


Chubby hands at work. Love it. :)

We lunched on the verandah. Homemade tomato soup (made it's debut last night, will now be a family favourite! will post the recipe if anyone's interested....) and yesterday's bread....


Will prefers his tomatoes fresh. He is downing cherry tomatoes at last! Just as they ripen on the plants in the garden. Wonderful.

And passionfruits for dessert.

I caught this moment as Stuart read William his favourite book - Peepo - yet again. My precious man and one of my precious boys.

Then I heard the giggles and had to run back for another photo! This boy has the best laugh.

The children all took off after lunch, into a game of sorts down in what we affectionately call our "jungle" - a double hedge of bushy Australian natives, perfect for exploration and adventure. :)

I walked with my coffee in the orchard. The bees were busy and the sunflowers spectacular. Tomatoes in flower. Oregano spreading. Capsicums overloading their small bush. Passionfruits hanging from the vine.




There was beauty everywhere in this small little area I call my orchard.

I marveled at the new growth on the apple trees I planted in the summer.

And I marveled at this week stretching ahead of all of us, full of opportunities to reflect and talk to Him and thank Him for the immeasurable gift offered to us on the cross. I intend to take time to be quiet this week. I have activities planned for the children, and we'll have our classes and trips to town and house chores to do ............ but I yearn for the quiet. I always do during this Easter week, every year is the same.

Quiet. Solitude. His Word. Prayer. Thanksgiving. Thankfulness. In everything.

4 comments:

Smilie girl said...

(still) a beautiful day!
Looking forward to the soup recipe.

Renata said...

What a lovely day. We also enjoyed remembering Jesus' triumphant entry- The kids enjoyed waving palm (well actually bird of paradise) branches in church - although I did question the pastors sanity in giving them to little boys when Jud turned around & began to sword fight the pastors young son!
Your garden is looking amazing.
Would love that soup recipe. My kids adore soup.
Hope you have a nice week. Guess I'd better go & get started on school work
Renata :)

Kimmie said...

Can I soak in the quiet with you Saminda?

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 6 3/4 adopted

SF said...

Always, Kimmie. :) xo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin