Thursday, February 26, 2009

Visiting Bath


Yes, it's true........ I have visited Bath, home of Miss Jane Austin from 1801 to 1805, and one of the most beautiful, artistic, ethereal cities in the world.  Stuart and I and Saraya (then 2) and Elijah (then 3 months- agh! we were mad!) moved over to the UK back in 2002 with the idea of living there for 2 years.  Unfortunately work didn't quite go the way we'd planned for Stuart.. it's a long sad story, but the short version is that we wound up doing a 2-week trip in a campervan around England, North Wales and Southern Scotland before coming home.  All up we were away for 6 weeks.  

It was unbelievable.   The history, the beauty, the majesty of the places we visited will always remain with us, and we long to go back once our children are grown- just the two of us!

I thought I'd share these pictures of our time in Bath.  I hope you enjoy them!





..... as referred to in many of Miss Jane's novels

As we were travelling we couldn't stay for this- it would have been wonderful!

I bought a tea cosy at the Jane Austin centre, just from the souvenier shop in the foyer- we couldn't afford to actually go into the centre; we had a very tight budget and had to pick and choose what we did!  We didn't even go into the Roman Baths. :)  I never did quite get over that! I mean, who goes to Bath and doesn't see the Baths????!
We did take a tour bus around Bath and learned some amazing facts about all sorts of people who had lived and visited there throughout history...... and even drove down one of the gorgeous lamp-post lined streets where apparently the film "Vanity Fair" was made in the '90s - I still need to see that movie!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just caught up on all your posts over the past 2 weeks, and had a wonderful time. I love all of them, and this re-visit to Bath was especially wonderful. You WILL get back there one day AND visit all the places you missed out on last time; you just have to!! Mum

Renata said...

What a lovely place to visit! A shame you weren't there for the festival - it would be great to go to!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin