Monday, August 10, 2009

A Harvest of Lemons


Aside from picking one or two here and there as we've needed them, I've never had a full "harvest" of lemons from our tree. But there's always a first time for everything! And today was the day.


We planted the tree when we first moved here (about 3 years ago); it's a 'Eureka' and has grown and matured very quickly! It's a constantly producing tree, so in theory we should get year-round fruit.

Saraya and I will grocery shop tonight after an early tea, and I plan to stock up on a few ingredients to make some special lemony treats this week. What a joy to harvest from our own garden!

4 comments:

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

It is so wonderful to have your own lemons. We have an old lemon tree which produces tons of lemons...last year I tried preserving lemons for the first time and they were fantastic, especially for stuffing chickens and marinating fish. I still have lemon slices in the freezer for drinks and the new crop has arrived.

Smilie girl said...

We have a very prolific lemon tree through no doings of our own. I will look forward to hearing of the ways you use your lemons.

Tereza said...

I just made lemon zest cookies and will post the recipe soon!

Anonymous said...

I so wish we could grow lemons, because we love them, and they're terribly expensive. Unfortunately, citrus fruit doesn't grow well in the Midwest. Lemon bars are one of my favorite treats, but I have no choice but to use store-bought lemon juice.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin